Welcome to Southern Indiana Transit System (SITS). We have mid-transit busses, regular mini-vans, fourteen-passenger vans, and wheelchair accessible vans. We look forward to meeting your transportation needs in Crawford, Harrison, Scott and Washington Counties.
New Non-Emergency Medical Transportation for Medicaid Participants Begins June 1st 2018
Following a decision by the State of Indiana to contract with an outside transportation broker, Blue River Services, Inc. and its Southern Indiana Transit System (SITS) will no longer be providing transportation to Medicaid participants.
Effective June 1, 2018, Southeastrans will be the designated non-emergency medical transportation provider for fee for service Medicaid members.
All Medicaid recipients who live in the four-county SITS service area, which includes Crawford, Harrison, Scott and Washington Counties, and need non-emergency transportation for medical appointments or treatments, must call Southeastrans at 855-325-7586 to schedule a ride on or before June 1, 2018. The toll-free number will be active on May 14, 2018, if you need to speak with customer service prior to June 1.
Southern Indiana Transit System, a Division of Blue River Services, Inc., is the largest and in some cases, the only transportation provider in the rural Indiana counties of Crawford, Harrison, Scott and Washington. The rural public transportation system will continue its fixed-deviated and demand-response routes for seniors, people with disabilities, children with special needs and the general public. Current transportation schedules will be maintained by SITS Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
History of Blue River Transportation
Blue River Services, Inc. public, medical, and deviated route transportation services were established to bring transportation opportunities to local counties. The Southern Indiana Transit System (SITS) serves Crawford, Harrison, Scott and Washington Counties with demand-response public transportation at affordable rates. Medical transportation also is offered to individuals for doctor’s appointments and hospital visits. In addition, Blue River Services provides deviated route transportation for adults who receive services or those who are employed at Blue River Services' Sheltered Workshops and for children with special needs who attend preschool Rainbow’s End Child Care Center.
SITS provides demand response service for pick up and drop off at:
- Shopping centers, grocery stores and banks
- Hospitals and clinics in Southern Indiana
- Automobile repair shops
- Recreation areas
Our services include:
- Friendly and courteous drivers with CPR/First Aid certification
- Drivers with Public Passenger Chauffeur License
- Department of Transportation (DOT) Regulatory Compliance, including routine drug and alcohol screening
- Mid-transit busses, mini-vans, fourteen-passenger vans, and wheelchair accessible vans with air conditioning
- Group transportation to local events
- Special events shuttle service
- Transportation arrangements for employers to transport their employees to and from the workplace.
SITS Mission Statement
Southern Indiana Transit System (SITS) will provide safe, effective, and reliable transportation for the general public within our service area. SITS will continuously maintain the highest transportation standards for our customers.
Title VI Notice to the Public
A Title VI Notice to the Public assuring compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 must be displayed to inform a transit system’s customers of their rights under Title VI. At a minimum, transit systems must post the notice on the agency’s website and in public areas of the agency’s office(s), including the reception desk, meeting rooms, etc. Many agencies display their Title VI Notices in transit facilities (e.g., headquarters, transit shelters and stations, etc.), and on transit vehicles (e.g., buses, shelters, etc.). The Title VI Notice is a vital document.
If there are Limited English Proficient (LEP) populations in your service area, then the Notice should be provided in English and in any other language(s) spoken by LEP populations. At a minimum, this statement must be included in the Notice “If information is needed in another language, please contact 812-738-1681 should be stated in English and in any other language(s) spoken by LEP populations that meet the Safe Harbor threshold (Safe Harbor explained Exhibit A).
A sample posting follows: It is further recommended that assurances of nondiscrimination to the agency’s Non-discrimination statement (including language in all contracts and local public agreements) Should also now include the following categories; Race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, income status, or limited English proficiency.
Public Notice: Public Notice of Rights Under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
Southern Indiana Transit System (SITS) operates its programs and services without regard to race, color, and national origin in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Any person who believes he or she has been aggrieved by any unlawful discriminatory practice under Title VI may file a complaint with SITS.
For information on SITS’s civil rights plan and the procedures to file a complaint contact SITS’S Representative, Transportation Director telephone 812-734-1000 and TTY contact #; email contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our office at 3143 Progress Blvd., Corydon, IN. 47112. For more information visit www.brsinc.org
A complainant may file a complaint directly with the Federal Transit Administration by filing a complaint with the
Office of Civil Rights Attention: Title VI Program Coordinator
East Building, 5th Floor –TCR
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
If information is needed in another language or alternate format contact Transit System Transportation Director at 812-734-1000 at TTY for Deaf & Hard of Hearing (812) 738-3526 or 1-877-243-8982.
Contact Us for Trip Requests, Cancellations or Complaints:
Harrison & Crawford Co. (812) 738-1681
Toll-Free Number (866) 738-1681
TTY for Deaf & Hard of Hearing (812) 738-3526 or 1-877-243-8982
Emergency Number (812) 972-5581
Please use the emergency number only if there is an immediate problem with your scheduled transportation. This number is not for reservations.
Hours and Days of Operation
If the passenger is unable to make a scheduled trip, the customer must call the scheduling office within 24 hours of pick-up time to cancel or reschedule. Repeated unnotified missed appointments by any passenger may result in a suspension in service privileges for up to two (2) weeks. If there are three concurrent occurrences where a customer does not show up for their scheduled ride, the customer will be tracked as a no show with dispatch. SITS management and Blue River Services Inc. CEO/President shall determine all suspensions. Furthermore, SITS transportation department must be informed of all destinations when a trip is scheduled.
SITS is open Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Eastern Time). If you need to call after hours, please leave a message on the answering machine. It is very important that you leave a message when calling. If you choose to cancel your transportation, please call to notify us so we do not send a driver out unnecessarily. SITS is closed on the following holidays: New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
- 0 to 10 miles: $2 per one way, per person
- 11 to 20 miles: $3 per one way, per person
- More than 20 miles: $4 per one way, per person
- If you go outside our service area, there will be an additional charge of $1.25 per mile per one way, per person. Fares will be collected by driver prior to departure. The drivers do not carry cash and cannot make change, so please have the exact change. If you are paying by check, please make check payable to Blue River Services, Inc.
It is SITS policy to provide the safest and most efficient service to all passengers and to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. SITS must rely on certain guidelines that ensure quality service for all passengers. Passengers who abuse these guidelines can adversely affect the SITS community as a whole.
Unsafe Conduct: Any act which creates the potential for injury or other risk to any passenger, driver, or the general public will not be tolerated.
- Abusive Conduct: Any disruptive or intrusive act toward any passenger, driver, or the general public will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to, any acts that are generally offensive, invading the privacy rights of others, or touching another person in a rude, insolent, or angry manner.
- Passengers may not operate any audio or visual equipment which infringes upon other customers’ comfort or safety, or impairs the driver’s ability to transport passengers safely. Examples include audio/visual equipment without headsets, portable video games, etc.
- No eating, drinking, chewing tobacco, smoking is allowed on the vans.
- No weapons of any type may be brought onto the vans.
SITS has established these policies so that another passenger’s negative conduct will not affect other passengers using transportation services.
When requesting a ride, please be ready to provide the following:
- Your name
- Your pick-up address, including county
- Your telephone number
- The time of your scheduled appointment
- Where you will be going
- The time you want to be picked up for your return trip
- Whether you use a wheelchair or other mobility device
- Dimensions of wheelchair, if applicable
- Whether anyone else will be riding with you
- If there are no openings for the time you requested, you may be offered an alternate time as close as possible to the original time you requested. If there are no openings for the day and time you requested, please feel free to call SITS at a later time to ask if there have been any cancellations.
- SITS is a Door to door service. Which means that the driver will escort the passenger from the main entrance door of the origin to the main entrance door of the destination. Walkways, pathways and ramps must be clean and clear of hazards, ice and snow. Drivers are prohibited from entering passengers' homes.
- You may ride from any origin in the SITS service area for any legal purpose as long as a reservation has been made.
- Drivers are only permitted to wait 5 minutes. Additional stops may be made along your route before reaching your destination.
- The driver is required to collect the fare upon departure. Please have exact change ready.
- Prior to departure you must fasten your seat belt/ shoulder strap. If you are in a three-wheeled mobility device, you may be asked to transfer to a seat in the vehicle. Please note that the choice to transfer to a seat is yours.
- SITS permits riders to carry portable oxygen tanks on vehicles. It is the responsibility of the rider to assure that portable oxygen tanks are properly secured to prevent injury.
- SITS allows pets to ride in the vehicle. Service animals, and pets are allowed in the vans and busses as long as the guidelines are followed, see Pet Policy. If for any reason the driver determines any pet is unsafe for the transportation, the driver will make a call to SITS management for further direction before the trip is denied.
- If you have a complaint or grievance about service, please follow the Grievance Process.
- The American Public Transportation Association provides links to other transportation agencies in Indiana and other states
- Community Transportation Association of America
- INDOT (Indiana Department of Transportation)
- Orange County Transit Service provides transportation in Orange County, Indiana
- Ride Solution provides transportation in Daviess, Greene, Martin, Pike, and Sullivan Counties in Southern Indiana
- TARC (Transit Authority of River City) provides transportation in Clark and Floyd Counties in Southern Indiana, as well as the Louisville, KY, metropolitan area.
For additional information on the Transportation Services Blue River offers please contact Roland Lemus, Regional Director of SITS at (812) 734-1000 or email@example.com.